Hi all :-)
We're finally past the 15th, so I get to post! "The Blue Castle" is my very favourite LMM book, and one of my favourite books in general, so I love talking about it. I already have heaps of ideas for posts, but will try not to overwhelm anybody ;-)
Here are some questions to get us started:
1. Was Valancy depressed at the beginning of the story? What was she feeling? Do you think LMM ever felt like Valancy?
2. What were the strengths that let Valancy break out in the end? Would she have been able to do it without that jolt of expecting to die?
3. How do you define self esteem? Who has most self-esteem in this story, Barney or Valancy?
4. At the end, Valancy seems to go back to her former cowed state. What do you think would have happened if Barney *had* stormed off and never come back?
5. What do you think LMM was trying to write about in TBC? Love, beauty,or some other quality? Why?
6. What is your favorite symbol in TBC and how does it enhance your appreciation of the story? ( My answers behind the cutCollapse )